Recently I have been hearing a lot of discussions about the “value” of Facebook likes, Real vs. Fake. As always, the majority of what I hear is wrong so I decided to achieve this post to set things straight. Let me first start by explaining the real difference between a “real” like and a “fake” like. A what are known as “real” like is a like that is earned the “right” way… which means that the like was completed by way of a real person who found real value in your site or post or page or whatever and decided to give you kudos by “liking” it…
Now onto the “fake” like; the fake like is actually a like that is generated at all apart from what I described above. There are a multitudes of numerous ways to get a fake like, too many for this post, but below are a few:
1. Purchase like packages on microjob sites like Fiverr.com; you can purchase a few hundred to your few thousand. These likes are almost always generated using a bot (automated software program) that games Facebook security and erroneously adds dozens to a large number of likes over days or weeks. The positive for this method is that it is cheap… the negative is that bots can be often be detected by Facebook security which can lead to your Facebook page being closed down. Recently Facebook announced it’s plans to ramp up detection, you can read an excellent article about it here.
2. Purchase likes from the microworker site. This technique involves buying “credits” or “tokens” on sites like Welikehits.com. These websites allow you to setup a free account together with your Facebook profile then other people get credits by liking your page or sharing,etc. You spend from $5-$100 to get credits which you then “spend” when someone likes your page; you can buy several thousand credits for $10-$25 normally. The advantage of these sites is that real people who have real accounts are liking your page, no automated script or bot… the negative is that the way these likes come to you is via a gateway page with a set ip address… meaning that it must be quite simple for Facebook to share with that these were bought, and so not count them.
Below are a few of the advantages of fake likes:
1. Usage of Facebook Analytics. Facebook only enables you to the access the analytics part of your user interface Once you reach 30 likes. Through getting fake likes, you can access your computer data more quickly.
2. Use of Facebook vanity URL. Facebook enables you to have a vanity URL only after you have 25 likes… the vanity URL is essential from the beginning, it enables you to have facebook/yourkeyword again, fake likes provides you with access to this feature rapidly.
3. Nobody would like to like a page which includes zero likes… psychologically folks are FAR more prone to click that like button if there are already several hundred or several thousand likes.
4. SEO value. Social signals are important to SEO right now… some say as much as 1/3 in the puzzle… regardless of the the amount really is, should you do SEO you KNOW that things like followers,likes, etc play a crucial role in gfhisr your keywords on Google. In case you are struggling to generate these social signals the “right” way, obtaining the fake ones is better than nothing.